Friday, July 18, 2008

The Dark Knight

I just got back from seeing The Dark Knight. We had ten guys go and see the movie. It was great hanging out with the boys for a few hours. I would dare say they all enjoyed the movie. For me, I am still processing. Don't misunderstand me... I thought the movie was good, but I'm still processing the whole thing.

My thoughts, at this moment, take me to the tone of the movie. The movie was very dark. The Joker was true to his character. He was evil. He was not some comical character who told jokes and made funny faces. The Joker was a homicidal sociopath who got his kicks from killing people and reaping havoc in Gotham City. On a side note... this movie is definitely not for children. There were too many disturbing scenes for impressionable young minds. Why expose them to it when you don't have to? Anyway... I was never a big Batman comic book reader, but I hear they stayed true to the overall tone of the comics.

The movie made you think about the goodness of people. Are people good for reasons or are they really good? If the opportunity presented itself, would you betray who you are and what you know is right for something wrong or unethical? Would you save yourself over someone else? Answer that question and see how good you really are. I know One who didn't save Himself over you and me. He chose to give His life so you and I could live. There was no evil found in Him.

Once again... I'm just processing. I would love to read your comments. Please feel free to post. There are many more thoughts I have about the movie, but maybe you should see it for yourself and make your own call. Enter with caution. It will make you think.

3 comments:

Emily said...

Although it was pretty dark, I really loved it! But like you said, it made you think. It was very interesting how they put such an emphasis on the goodness of people-- common people. I think it truly set itself apart from other "Super Hero" movies.
(not to mention the acting was outstanding!)

Robyn said...

Well I havent seen the movie...but I love how you go to a movie and you find something that can be used in a sermon! Anyways...thats a really hard question to think about.

Andrews said...

Dark movie would pretty much describe it. I echo my brother...not fit for children. Probably not fit for some adults. I personally loved it because it was different from your "ordinary" superhero movies. Pscycological thriller would best classify the genre....not action. Heath Ledger did a tremendous job acting. Worth seeing again....matter of fact, I plan on watching it on IMAX this coming Friday.