Sunday, March 30, 2008

A Moment To Remember

Did you ever have a moment that took you back in time? Tonight was one of those nights. First Assembly had a concert in service tonight. Dean and Mary Brown were our musical guests. They have been traveling and doing Southern Gospel music for 35 years. It is a possibility that you have seen them on TBN from time to time. They did a great job and I believe they ministered unto our congregation.

Anyway, I got to do something I normally don't get to do in church... sit with my wife! I was able to finish up my service responsibilities and join my wife for the concert. When I came to where she was seated, my youngest two daughters were sleeping on the chair beside her.

My mind took me back to when I was a young boy growing up in church. My mom and dad would be at everything and I would be on the pew beside them. I can remember being tired and laying on a pew while the altar service went on through the night. I can also remember the Southern Gospel sound and the hymns that were sung Sunday after Sunday much like the ones I heard tonight.

Sitting beside my wife and seeing my two young daughters sleeping reminded me of my heritage. I lived at the church. I grew up at the church. Church was my life and I have no regrets or apologies to make. I'm thankful for parents who made sure I was there and who kept me there to witness the times of prayer around an altar and the moving of the Spirit in the life of the believer and non-believer. God had an impact on me as a child. I want my children to have the same heritage.

One day I want them to be able to look back and remember a mom and a dad that took them to church. And more than remembering church attendance, I want them to have had an experience with the living Christ which causes them to take their kids to church watching their young children sleep on the chairs next to them when a service goes late into the night.

3 comments:

Ben said...

I remember drooling on the hard oak pews at my old childhood church, and then on some of the fabric pews at the church we went to after that. So, I guess you could say I've left my mark on a few churches in my day, too! Awesome blog, bro.

Jenny said...

I remember those days also. I can remember coloring in my coloring book under the pew while the service was going on. Good times!

Ricky Morris said...

I wouldn't trade my days of growing up under and in the pew for anything. It was there I witnessed and experienced Pentecost. God changed me through being exposed to His presence. I want my kids to have the same experience.